Monday, March 25, 2013

Finding Happiness in Little Things!

Feeling the subtle energy currents!
Spring is coming - Spring is coming!  That's my mantra of late!   I'm starting to hit a bit of a wall when it comes to the weather.  Yes - I know - I need to work through the chaos. Chaos is needed before change of any kind.  I'M STILL SICK OF THE SNOW!!  Ok - I feel better after a little rant.  My back and hips are out and that makes me a little testy.  We spent the weekend working with our new Polarity students.  We hope to have a full class at some point this spring.  Hello Fellow Thrivers!! If you're interested in starting a career in the Polarity field give me a call!

One of the things that we have been doing around here to Thrive and  make our lives more enjoyable has been reworking many of our favorite recipes.  I can't eat gluten, dairy or meat anymore and because of this I've been gifted with the challenge of finding and creating tasty edibles.  I love to cook and eat, and it's important to find a rasa (taste) and texture that makes me happy.  There is nothing worse than bland, spice-less, mushy life-less food.  So......I don't like to deprive myself of anything in the yummy zone and I've been on the hunt for the perfect pizza replacement.  I wanted something quick and easy.  I wanted to be able to have my own Pizza when the kids come to visit.
New students!
I've found a gluten-free flour recipe that I like for cookies and other goodies.  The problem I faced was finding a recipe that would work with my food-combining requirements. Oh no - here she goes "Food-combining - What's food-combing?"  

Food-combing keeps your protein and your carbs separate.  So having a grain based Pizza of any kind with cheese on top is a big no-no!  "Why?" you ask.  Grains are carbs - cheese (dairy) are proteins - they are incompatible and don't digest together.  They will create a fermentation in the body, give you acid reflux.  Keep your meals simple if you have a grain based meal (like pasta, rice or breads) - DO NOT add any meats.  If you're eating a Meat based meal - DO NOT eat grains.
There are ways to get around these food-combing rules (we'll save that for another day).
At this time, I was hankering for Pizza.  I finally found and tweaked a recipe for an Almond Flour Pizza. This is a recipe even the kids would enjoy!  Maybe I'll get them consuming my healthy version.  I just won't tell them and they'll be all the better for it. Oh Happy Happy Joy Joy!!


Almond Flour Thick Crust Pizza

2 Cups Almond Flour
1 Cup Arrow Root (or Tapioca Flour or      
                                Potato Starch)
1 1/2 tea Baking Powder
1 tea Garlic Powder

3 Eggs
1/2 Cup Milk (Any Kind)
1 Tab Olive Oil
1 Tab Chia Seeds
1/2 tea Vinegar or Lemon  Juice

Prep a Pizza stone or cookie sheet with parchment paper - sprayed with cooking spray or oil. Mix dry ingredients together in bowl.  Mix wet ingredients in separate bowl. Then blend together.  It will look like a smooth muffin batter. 
uncooked crust

Pour onto parchment paper and with an oil coated spatula spread batter out to the desired size.  You can pat the edges to create a little lip.  

Bake at 425 for 15 min.  It will create a firm slightly crusted surface.  Take out and top as you'd like. 
I used Tomato paste - sauce created a soggy crust.
Spread paste and top as usual.  After adding toppings bake for another 15-25 min (depending on how crisp you like your crust). Enjoy!
**Crust = Protein  Cheese topping = Protein

I used goat cheese and asparagus with fresh basil.  (I'm still working  on creating Cashew Mozzarella)  
Feasting with Almond Crust Pizza
Having this new recipe has allowed for Pizza night to return to our home. This is a Bonus for everyone in my family. For this I give Thanks.  Working through the emotional chaos, that I experienced when denied my favorite comfort foods, has given me a wonderful healthy option. I might never have hunted for these options if I didn't have my new dietary needs. This is an addition to our recipe box that needed to be created, no matter what my health issues. For this I give thanks. As Brian says,"This is a keeper!" Give it a try and keep me posted on what you think or topics you'd like for me to cover.

Blessings to all!
Warm Pizza Kisses!
Namaste`
Naomi

No comments:

Post a Comment