Monday, August 12, 2013

Understanding the World of Ostomy!

The Colossal Colon aka CoCo











 





Brian exiting Coco
This has been the week of all weeks.  Brian, my Mom and I went to Jacksonville Florida for the United Ostomy Associations of America (UOAA) conference.  This was an opportunity for me to meet other ostimates.  We could share our stories, get educated on the latest techniques, and bond with new friends. 

One of the highlights was the Colossal Colon!  You could crawl through a 40 foot colon that has areas of disease.  It gave me a chance to see (up close) Crohn's disease, diverticulosis, ulcerative colitis, hemorrhoids, non-cancerous polps, cancerous polyps and various stages of colon cancer.  I made Brian go first in case it was just to scary for me.  
What my Toad (Tumor) may have looked like!
My days were full....running from one lecture to another.  I attended many classes dealing with my Colostomy. I'm proud to say I have been figuring things out all by myself.  I have a fabulous support group but....guess what?  They don't have ostomies!  They can have empathy - show love and support but, they don't have ostomies.  I was surrounded for the first time ever with people of all ages that truly understand the struggles that I've been dealing with.  


Yoga & Meditation class
We covered so many topics: stoma clinics, short bowel syndrone, Ileostomy, skin issues, quality of life, support meetings, hernia & stoma revisions, how cancer treatments affect you ostomy, pain management, sports & fitness, irrigation and yoga. Brian was thrilled to find out that Yoga and meditation are highly recommended as a supportive therapy for all bowel issues. This list goes on and on.  It was great having Brian and Mom with me.  We would split up and attend different classes and then share the information at meal time. Or maybe a little after meal time - talking bowel issues at the table isn't for everyone!
Naomi, Judy (Mom) & Brian

At the end of the day we would take a break and explore the beautiful city of Jacksonville.  We hit the beach one day and went on a air boat tour another day. Beautiful sun set and wild life all around us.  Gorgeous!!

Lola (my Stoma) and I had a chance to have one of the amazing WOCN nurses examine us at the Stoma Clinic.
Lola (the stoma) getting examined at the Stoma Clinic
We were given a clean bill of health and some great tips for irrigating.  For those of you that have never seen a stoma - that little pink button on my belly is my stoma "Lola".  That may be to much information for some but, tough stuff!  One of the greatest lessons that I learned at the conference was that we need to share.  There is no shame in being an ostimate!  Intestinal Bowel Disease is all around us these days.  It could happen to you or a family member in a blink.  So.....we will be talking more about all things poopy in the days to come.  It's time to come out of the closet - It's time to educate - It's time to share! 

Symptoms of Colorectal Cancer
* the most common symptom is no symptom
*change in bowel habits (diarrhea, constipation, narrow 
  stools)
*unexplained weight loss, vomiting, lack of energy,
  unexplained anemia
*Blood (often not visible) in stool or from rectum
*abdominal pain/discomfort (gas, bloating, cramps, feeling
  that bowl does not empty)

You Should Know:
*colorectal cancer does not discriminate
*the symptoms of colorectal cancer and what they mean
*what is normal for your body
*your family history of colrectal cancer and polps
*the different ways to test for colorectal cancer

If you have symptoms or a family history, see a doctor immediately and get an explanation.     
 Connecting with others and having a support group is vital as I move forward with my new life.  I feel strongly motivated to reach out to others.   One of Brian's teachers at the conference said, "Seek to understand then be understood.  Applied knowledge is power!"
Thank you UOAA for offering us the opportunity to grow, share and Thrive together.
 

Me & my Mom

Blessings to all!
Warm summer kisses!
Namaste`
Naomi & Lola

No comments:

Post a Comment