Monday, January 7, 2013

Thriving through Winter!

Mikhail removing snow from roof!
Greetings fellow Thrivers!  The snow and cold have settled in to stay.  We've been trying to enjoy the weather with cross-country skiing and snowshoeing.  Brian has been dragging our granddaughter around behind the four-wheeler.  I'm in a little funk - I'm missing the sun.  Which is a reminder that we need to be taking our Vitamin D!!  If you haven't purchased any yet - Uh now might be a good time.  Light therapy and saunas are always, bone warming, way to get through the winter season.   This winter I'm pushing myself to play in the snow.  The cold makes my system feel very contracted.  I have to work a little harder to keep my joints loose and mobile.  If you're suffering from the same issues it may be time to get out the warm Sesame oil.  I like to mix warm Sesame oil with Dead Sea salt (Ebsom salt will work) and give myself a good scrub before showering.  This give you a double dip - a wonderful exfoliation and moisturizer!  The warm oil is a added bonus - it creates a barrier of protection for the nervous system.  We need all the buffers we can get this time of the year. Cold, snow, wind, driving in storms and all that shoveling make for constant stress.  ***Big Note:  Always warm the oil on the stove (not in the micro-wave).  Cold oil will give you a shiver and create more contraction. Please use refined Sesame oil - or you'll smell like a Wok.

Kris Carr
I've been busy playing in the kitchen.  Trying new recipes and re-vamping old ones, to improve there health status.  I made a batch of Almond-Lentil cookies.......total flop!  Don't get me wrong - they tasted great - they just didn't hold together.  Soooo now the boys have some really healthy Almond-Lentil cookie crumb/chunks to put on their yogurt in the morning!  I change directions and pulled out one of my new (Christmas gift) cookbooks.  Crazy Sexy Kitchen ~ by Kris Carr.
Kris Carr is amazing and a role model for us all.  I love, love love her!
I made her Beet Ravioli with a few tweeks of my own.  

         Raw Beet Ravioli - with Cashew/Pecan Cream Cheese          
Slice a couple of beets thinly - use a Mandolin if you have one
Marinate for a couple of hours in:
1/4 cup Olive oil
2 Tab Lemon juice
Salt/Pepper

Cashew-Pecan Cream Cheese                                              
1cups Cashew
1 cup Pecan    
Soak all nuts 2 hrs or over night
2 Tab Lemon juice
1 Tab Nutritional yeast
1 Tab Onion powder
1/4 cup Parsley
 2 Tab finely chopped red Onion
 Sea salt & pepper to taste
 Blend nuts, water & juice until smooth
 Put in bowl stir in rest of ingredients

Place a slice of beet on plate, scoop Cashew/Pecan cream cheese onto center of beet.
Top with another slice of beet.  Top with Arugula and Cilantro - drizzle with some of the marinade and a squirt of Balsamic glaze.  Crunchy! Tasty!  This is a keeper on all levels.

Don't be afraid to step into the raw food arena.  Balance this dish with a cup of warm Miso soup, to take the edge off the coldness of the raw beets.  Delicious!!
Post your comments below. I'm always interested in how you're Thriving and what tidbits are working in your world!

Play in the snow, oil your skin and eat well.
 Blessings to all!
Puckery Balsamic kisses!
Namaste`
Naomi 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment