Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Polarity/Ayurvedic Healing with Oil & Salt

Colors of the Season!
 The world is getting a bath today - a little cleanse before nature tucks herself in for the season. The glowing trees are a Bonus for my day.  The colors are just majestic....give yourself a pause and take in these colors....soon they will be leaving us! We luckily striped the garden and planted our green manure (per my sister-in-law Tricia's instruction) before the sky opened up.  Our green manure is buckwheat....we'll allow it to grow, die off and then till it under in the spring to feed the soil. 

Now that we'll be closing up the house it's time to really take care of your skin.  We all tend to dry out and a little work can go along way to keeping you moist all winter.

In the world of Polarity - Dr Stone believed in dry brushing the body everyday.  Brushing is a simple way to remove dry skin and stimulate the lymphatic system. Ayurveda says we should oil our skin using the oil appropriate for your constitution (Sesame, Coconut or Sunflower). Oiling our skin loosens toxins and calms the nervous system.  It is a wonderful buffer from the elements outside.  Honestly I use both methods.  Sometimes I brush and oil, sometimes I just oil and sometimes I just brush my skin.  I like having options and variety in my daily routines.  Skin care is a Sadhana (practice) that I never forget (even if I do mix up my methods).  

Enjoying the view!
One of my favorite options is a Coconut Salt Srub!  I gain the benefits of exfoliation and the softening benefits of Coconut oil. I make my own and keep it handy in the shower.  Only three ingredients needed Sea Salt, Epsom Salt and Coconut Oil.  

Dead Sea Salt:  help to relieve dry itchy skin and replaces minerals, exfoliates, reduces stress, increases circulation and has an antiseptic effect

Epsom Salt:   Is a naturally occurring mineral blend of magnesium and sulfate, soothes the nervous system, calms muscle cramps and reduces pain, helps nerves and muscles function properly, and eliminates toxins from the body.

Coconut Oil:  Wonderful moisturizer due to its oils and high fat content, is made of 90% saturated fat and even has a little Vitamin E in it to help strengthen the skin, has antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal properties, It has NO TOXIC effect on the body, due to its small molecular structure it is easily absorbed by the body, has antioxidants and skin regeneration abilities.

Here are a few of my little tips:
*Any salt will work, but I like to use natural salts that have vitality.
*The larger the grain of salt ~ the more aggressive the scrub will be.  If you have very     sensitive skin you should use a  fine grain salt or grind what you have in the blender.
*I use Unrefined Coconut Oil because I like the natural Coconut fragrance.  Refined Coconut oil will be odorless. You could then add an essential  oil of your choice.
*I wouldn't use this recipe on your face unless you make it with a fine salt grind. 
*Options for fine grind salts are- Grey Sea Salt & Kala Namak (Black Salt).


Dead Sea Salt, Epsom Salt Coconut oil
 COCONUT SALT SCRUB!!


This is a basic recipe - 2:1 ratio
2 parts Salt - 1 part Oil


1/2 cup Dead Sea Salt
1/2 cup Epsom Salt
1/2 cup Unrefined Coconut Oil





Mix together in a bowl - store in mason jar.

Rub the scrub on to dry skin gently before showering.
You don't want to wash all of the oil off.....so soap your stinky spots leaving the oil on your limbs.  Or a touch of liquid soap on top of the scrub is wonderful!  You'll feel soft and smooth and your skin will begin to glow!!
Coconut Salt Scrub!









Blessings to All!
Coconut Oil kisses!
Namaste`
Naomi

No comments:

Post a Comment