Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Our Bonus Week of Rest & Renewal!

Naomi & Brian

Naomi & Mikhail

Melones Beach
While  in Culebra I have been given the gift of time to reflect and give thanks for so many wonderful moments of my life. This has been a Bonus Week.  Celebrating in Culebra Puerto Rico has been such a healing experience.  This was a double celebration.  My beautiful Mikhail will be graduating from High School in June!! Yeah Us!!  I am celebrating my second year without Cancer!!  Happy Dance!!


This has also been an opportunity to connect with my roots.  We played in the sand, walked the beaches, explored the tiny town, ate local food (giving me new kitchen ideas), snorkeled (yes I got in the water with fish) and just lived a life without an agenda.  Which leads me to one of the lessons I've been working on with Brene' Brown. http://www.oprah.com/own-brene-brown-course/brene-course-bundle-landing.html  You can also find Brene' Brown on the TED talks!

Tamarindo Beach
In Brene' Browns book The Gifts of Imperfection, one of our lessons has been about finding more time for rest and play.  Living in this paradise, I realized just how fast paced, work oriented, stressed out movers and groovers we had become.  I (we) needed balance. Island living agrees with me. Question: Why do we work so hard?  Who cares? What are your rewards? Are you enjoying them? Why do we feel guilty about down time?

We all are in desperate need of rest and renewal!!  I discovered on this vacation that I could with intention, drop out of my life and live without expectations.  Truly living in the moment and meeting needs as they arise.  I'm hungry - I'm tired - I want to swim/snorkel.  


Naomi & Brian the tip of Melones Beach
I extend to you a challenge as we enter into spring and summer....Make a list of the activities that make you happy.  Think back to the moments that were simple - the moments  that you felt the most energized - the moments that you were the happiest.  What were you doing?  Write those things down.  Do this as a family activity.  I'm sure your calendars have already started filling up with picnics, graduation parties, weddings and vacation  - lets take a stand about how we plan to spend our free time.  Try to spend a short period of time each weekend without an agenda.  Allow yourself to live in the moment - like children.  


Flamenco Beach
For example in our home we are the happiest when - we are cooking, on our paddle boards, walking in the woods, laughing and sharing with friends and family.  We don't always allow our schedules to accommodate these needs.  Again the challenge: Make a date on your calendar.  You can make that a daily or weekly date.  Start setting time aside.  Set aside a block of "PLAY TIME"!  That is all the healing that you need.  


Culebra from the air
When the play day and time arrive - stop what you are doing and ask the family how they would like to play.  This can be awkward at first (as everyone stares at one another...hmmm...what to do?).  Be spontaneous, playful and creative. The greatest challenge is giving your Play Date the same importance as going to work or feeding your family. 

Health and healing require balance - Balance of Breath, Balance of Food, Balance of exercise, Balance of Work, Balance of PLAY, Balance of REST!  If you must have a check list - let this be your list!!


From our deck
Now that I have had my Puerto Rico experience.....watch out!  I'm playing around in the kitchen.   Tweaking recipes and making them healthier.  My ancestral memories are showing their colors and you'll be seeing some interesting spice blends and techniques in the future!   Sofrito and Sazon blends that are going to make your tastes buds happy. 

Now go take a well deserve guilt free nap or go outside and play!!





Gorgeous sunsets everyday!
Blessings to All!
Warm Sunny Kisses!
Namaste`
Naomi

No comments:

Post a Comment