Monday, March 2, 2015

Panchakarma - the next healing phase

Surya (Sun) in the afternoon


Today I started my journey into the land of Panchakarma.  As I'm writing this I have two mugs of tea at my elbow - one mug of medicated tea and one mug of Vijays Chai tea (recipe below). All my pre-detox products arrived. I have teas to drink, tonics to drink, supplements and herbals blends to take everyday.  My daily routine is going to go through a bit go a change. I'm living in such a state of gratitude...bonus days, moments, and seconds are all around me.  Ok, let's back up....What is Panchakarma? 

My goodie box!
Pankchakarma is the Ayurvedic art of detoxification and purification.  Panchakarma means  "5 therapies" and those include Vamana, Virechana, Nasya, Basti, and Raktamoskshana. These 5 therapies work to calm and remove deep seated stress, which is one of the causes of illness.  The treatments are also used to remove toxins (ama) from deep in the tissues allowing the body to return to it constitutional state of balance. The goal, calm the nerves, improve digestive fire, purge toxins and rebuild tissues and immune system. 


The first stage (that I'll be entering) is working with my diet.  I'll be eating only fresh cooked food. Nothing -Nothing processed.  No sugar, caffeine, meat, alcohol, or anything that comes in a bag or a box.  I can do this...I can do this.......
I'll be eating a lot of Kitchari which is Mung dal and rice with fresh veggies and spices chosen specifically for my digestive cleansing needs.  Now, when I say I'm eating Kitchari - I'm eating Kitchari for breakfast, lunch and dinner.  Whew....I can do this...


Naomi in the garden at Amrit Yoga Institute
About a week before I head down to Amrit Healing Arts Center, I'll start slowing it down. Slowing down my body, mind and spirit.  I'll start taking Castor oil and prepping my body for the treatments that I'll receive the following week. I won't know until I get to Amrit exactly which of the treatments that I'll be receiving. I need to be oily on the inside and oily on the outside so that the toxins can be easily flushed from my system. My treatment plan will be determined by the strength of my  inner biology and how it has altered from my dietary changes.  Everyone is unique and Panchakarma programs are designed for the individual.  I'll give you a quick run down of the possible cleansing treatments that I may be receiving. This is a very simplified explanation and I plan to give you greater details as the whole adventure unfolds.  

Vamana is therapeutic emesis geared to remove Kapha toxins from the lungs and head. 
Virechana is therapeutic purgation that is focused on removing Pitta toxins from the small intestines, liver and gallbladder. 
Nasya is cleansing of the sinus with medicated oils that work to pull toxins from the head, sinus and neck area.
Basti is therapeutic enemas using medicated oil and/or herbal decoctions to clear the colon of Vata, Pitta and Kapha toxins. Basti also helps to tone the tissues.  This is the master cleansing method and is usually repeated over several days.
Raktamoskshana is therapeutic bloodletting. Used in very rare situations.


Melding spices
At this point in the game I'm working in the kitchen flexing my culinary muscles and taking lots of notes.  My plan is to keep you updated and share with you the Kitchari recipe of the week.  My poor family is being dragged through this process and are being honest Kitchari critics for your benefit. There have been a few flops that won't be mentioned....ever!  Mikhail is my texture guy, and if it doesn't make his taste buds happy we start over.  Today we're keeping it simple and starting with a fabulous Chai Masala recipe that we learned from our teacher Dr Jain.  Perfect warm drink for anytime of the day.  We have started making large pots of chai every morning. The tea and masala mixture is in a pot on the stove, and that can be easily ladled into a mug and adjusted to suite the individuals taste preference with milk and sweetener of choice. See link below.



Warm, spicy - delicious! 
For Vijay's Chai Masala click here http://naomikenealysbonusdays.blogspot.com/p/vijays-chai.html

Chai will make any day feel sunny! Enjoy!!

Spicy Chai kisses!
Blessings to all!
Namaste`
Naomi

No comments:

Post a Comment