Monday, December 17, 2012

Kitchen Modifications!

Brian making Holiday Squash
 Greetings fellow Thrivers!  We've been having fun, having new experiences and enjoying traditions from the past.  I love this time of year.  There are so many wonderful tastes and smells that awaken holidays memories from the past. 

 One of my focuses has been, to take my holiday recipes and tweek them. Modification is the word for this week. In the past I would allow myself the luxury of eating "holiday treats".  I would eat and prepare many "holiday treats" - just like everyone else in this country.  Now, if you know me, you know I love to eat. I was feeling very sad and sorry for myself at the thought of no longer having the cookies, candies and feasts. Well - this is just another challenge for me to master!!  As we're in a, constant, state of refinement - I'm working my way through my cookbooks.   I'm working on getting rid of all of my wheaty recipes.  I've been working with Organic Almond and Chestnut flour.  It's really delicious, and it doesn't give you any of that addictive behavior - you know eating the whole plate.  I don't have recipes' to share yet - I'll keep you posted. 
It's much easier to modify a casserole than say a bread recipe.  I'm also playing with different raw substitutes......it's all a work in progress!!

I spent Saturday morning at Lotus Life Yoga Center taking a Belly Dancing class.  It was rejuvenating and a wonderful core work out.  It gave me a chance to awaken the sleepy energy of my base/root chakra.  Shaking my hips gave my system a massive boost of energy.  I came home and wrapped gifts like a whirling dervish! I may need to add this to my list of "must do" activities!

Today Brian and I made one of my favorite dishes - Holiday Squash. This is a recipe from Amadea Morningstar's book Ayurvedic Cooking for Westerners.  
Beautiful & Delicious!!

Holiday Squash
1 cup cooked brown rice
3-4 lb butternut squash cooked
1/2 cup onion chopped
2-3 garlic cloves minced
2 grated carrots
1 big bunch spinach loose chop
2 Tab dried dill weed
1/2 cup dried cranberries (or more)
1 cup chopped walnuts
 
Saute in coconut oil onion and garlic.
Add carrots, then spinach.
Saute for a minute more - stir in brown rice and squash
Saute for a minute then add dill, cranberries & walnuts.
Cover and bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes.
Salt & pepper to taste
Serve with a fresh salad.

We love this dish - it's beautiful to look at and will make your taste buds happy.  When I make a dish like this - all my senses and needs are met.  I don't feel lacking - now this is what I'm talking about!! Kitchen time is always a bit of a sit-com at our house.  Laughing is a spice that should be added to every meal.  We're running out of time - so I'll try to have several cookie recipes for my next post.  

As always - eat something fresh, stay calm and breathe!  Take a quiet moment.  We need to feed our mind, body and spirit.  The nervous system needs calm moments - a chance to integrate.  Spend a moment meditating with a Ghee candle - fall into the light as you embrace this simple practice.

Cinnamon sugar kisses!
Blessings to all!
Namaste`
Naomi


 

No comments:

Post a Comment